Plan to attend a fun-filled weekend from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday and from 1 to 4 p.m. Sunday, at Old North Grove School. The restored and furnished one-room schoolhouse is located at 26745 Brickville Road in Sycamore.
The fifth annual open house at Old North Grove School will celebrate the recent listing of the property on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior. Dedication of a plaque commemorating the honor will be held at 1 p.m. Saturday.
Both Saturday and Sunday’s program will include ongoing tours of the school house, folk music, games for children, a Swedish May Pole and a raffle and bake sale. On Saturday, hot dogs and lemonade will be available, and on Sunday, traditional root beer floats will be for sale.
Old North Grove School was built in 1878 by Swedish Lutheran immigrants to educate their children and to retain their customs and language. It soon became a DeKalb county rural school and then a part of the Sycamore School District. North Grove School served as a country school until 1952. Its part in the development of education in the United States led to its inclusion on the National Registry. Today it is still owned by the Sycamore School District and cared for by the North Grove School association.