Cavel is operating again
DeKALB - Operations resumed Monday at the only plant in the country still legally allowed to slaughter horses for human consumption.
Cavel International Manager Jim Tucker confirmed Wednesday morning that the plant is running again.
Cavel had shut down near the end of March following a federal court ruling that called into question the legality of the pay-for-service system set up by the federal government for meat inspections in horse-slaughtering plants.
But the plant was cleared to reopen last week while that decision is on appeal.
Tucker said U.S. Department of Agriculture inspectors are on-site.
“The inspectors were back in the plant on Monday,” said Steven Cohen, a spokesman with the USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service. ̶